Friday, May 30, 2014

The Importance of a Good Coach: Role Preparation

I was very fortunate to apprentice at the Lyric Opera of Chicago for two years at the beginning of my career.
We were provided international coaches, retired singers, and old grizzled conductors to train us.

It was intense, it was demanding, it made is realise how much we didn't know, and I think that was a good thing: it kept us humble and taught us to respect the music.
When I prepare a role I find someone who is smarter and/or more experienced than I. It is the only way to  learn the correct style and phrasing.
  
I see many young singers learning on their own, and then showing up to the first rehearsal unprepared.
The problem is the rehearsal process nowadays is short and intense. If an artist shows up unprepared,
they may not be able to catch up and be truly comfortable in the role.
Find the best coach, which may not be a pianist but an older singer, and invest  the time in proper study of the role. It is your duty, and the audience will appreciate your hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment