Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Master Classes in Kunming and Xi'an

It has been a busy two weeks with Master Classes in Kunming and Xi'an.  I must say that I have enjoyed both cities and the experience a great deal.  I was impressed with the lovely, helpful people, history, beautiful weather and food!  I was also very happy with the talent in both cities.

When I go to a city I always think, "can this city present an opera?".   The reason I think this is because I am a singer and want to spread Western Opera anywhere I can. I think if a city has an opera company or regular performances through the local university or conservatory, it gives students or local professionals a goal to reach. Through this goal they must keep working to improve their abilities. It gives them performances.  It gives them hope.

I was impressed with the local singers and pianists in Kunming: the university also has some very talented faculty.   I think the Conservatory in Xi'an is very forward looking and is committed, through their fine faculty, to truly support their students.  I enjoyed the talent level there and the interaction with the wonderful faculty.

I will go train singers in Italy next month for two weeks.  I enjoy very much mentoring and helping young students.  I hope through my experiences in China and my international experience that I can continue to try to find opportunities for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment