Sunday, April 6, 2014

BEST OPERA ROLES FOR YOUNG BARITONES

What are the best roles for young baritones?
I think my time and experience as a 'young baritone' was very formative. 

I grew up in Seattle, and fortunately at that time in my Public School District we had a Summer Stock program.  My first lead role was the Pirate King in The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan.  We had an experienced director who challenged us to be creative. 

Then next year I sang Emile in South Pacific.  So at a young age I was able to understand the rehearsal process.  

After returning from two years in Bolivia at age 21, I began to seriously study voice.  Within a 3 year period I had sung Danilo (Merry Widow), Frank Butler (Annie Get Your Gun), Sir Francis Chesney (Where's Charley?), Papageno (Magic Flute), Escamillo (Carmen), and John (The Face on the Barroom Floor).  All were good for me and helped me grow as and artist. 

My professional debut was as the Imperial Commissioner (Madama Butterfly).  By the time I made my debut with Seattle Opera at age 26 I had already sung over half a dozen lead roles.

I think the key for a young singer is to seek any opportunity to perform,  and have a mentor to say "no" when you wish to take on a role too large.  We don't want young baritones singing Rigoletto or Scarpia too soon! 

Good roles for a young baritone (depending on your baritone voice type) would include:  
Papageno (Magic Flute)
Guglielmo (Cosi fan tutte)
Schaunard (La Boheme)
Silvio (I Pagliacci)
Valentin (Faust)
Belcore (L'Elisr d'Amore)
Malatesta (Don Pasquale)
Mercutio (Romeo et Juliette)

Of course there are many smaller roles that one can accept that help develop your craft. 

As a young singer, we need to take advantage of opportunities to sing roles, be in productions.  Sometimes there is a bit of a financial sacrifice, but the more experience we get at an early age, the more solid our career can be down the road.  

This is why I always try to promote and find good opportunities for young singers to grow.

In Asia, there are some talented young singers that don't get an opportunity to sing a full opera, or sing enough of them.  Through summer programs outside of Asia, or the creation of productions in China or Hong Kong, we can offer desperately needed experience to young singers.  



No comments:

Post a Comment