Sunday, April 20, 2014

Learning music on short notice, can you do it?

When I did my first audition for the Metropolitan Opera, my voice teacher was very connected with a pair of super agents in New York.  

I sang on a Thursday for the MET, and on Friday my teacher told me a rumour was going around that a baritone would bow out of a cover responsibility in Luisa Miller.  My teacher thought there was a strong possibility for me to be asked to stay in New York another week and cover the upcoming three performances.
 
Saturday morning I went to Patelson’s music store and purchased the music to Luisa Miller, and my teacher had a CD.  I took the music home and at 11am I begin learning the baritone role of Miller. 

On Sunday, I had an audition in which I tried out the big area from Miller. 

On Monday morning at 11am I finished memorizing the music.  

I received a call from the MET at 1pm in the afternoon and was in rehearsal Tuesday morning ready to participate in stage rehearsals.
Sometimes these opportunities come, and when they do, we as artists must make them work to our advantage.  You must really know yourself and your capabilities before taking on a last minute task as this one, but the pay off was my foot was in the door at the MET.

No comments:

Post a Comment