Monday, April 14, 2014

The Early Days: Night Trains and WURST!

I went to Europe in 1986 to audition for opera houses.  

I had been living in New York, was poor, and had just worked the summer in Central City Colorado.  Central City had been a  great experience, singing a lead role on the main stage, but it wasn’t the highest paying contract (as is the case with most summer contracts in the USA). 

I was working as a temp secretary to make ends meet in New York.  

After singing for Herr Holeander in New York, I made plans to go to Europe.  I realized I didn’t have the necessary funds.  I asked a wonderful sponsor who had heard me in a summer program in the Ozarks, and he offered to pay my airfare.  

The Sullivan Foundation (in New York) said they would repay my Eurail Pass IF I WAS OFFERED A CONTRACT.  

I had 500 USD in my pocket to live and eat on in Europe for one month.  

Of course 500 USD was totally unrealistic and I had to sleep in Youth Hostels, ride night trains, and eat a great deal of WURST.  

I was lucky to only be in Europe 2.5 weeks, received a contract, and was back in the States, with 200 USD in my pocket.  I was truly fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment